Thursday 26 July 2018

The Maxxi, Kara Walker, Anselm Kiefer and Marlene Dumas

The Maxxi

Rome, 18th July 2018

The Place To Be

The general opinion around the BSR had been quite negative about this space, mainly from a group of curators on a course run by Goldsmiths in London so I headed to this exhibition with slight trepidation, my concerns were unfounded, I found the whole experience an aesthetically fulfilling one, especially as I entered the first space, on the wall a piece by Kara Walker, an artist that has informed two of my pieces, Ties That Bind and Strange Fruit.





Kara Walker, The Emancipation Approximation - 1989

Further on through the exhibition having enjoyed seeing a Kara Walker in the real, I was excited to see only my fourth Anselm Kiefer, truly this work is just astonishing, a comment on Germany, living with its past, the Holocaust, its out there in the cosmos for all to see, the biggest void of them all, space. Kiefer's work is a big influence on mine, in particular 'Duff's Legacy' and 'Where Is Uri'


Anselm Kiefer, Sternenfell 1998.

Another piece of note was up in a exhibition of African Art, African Metropolis, Any imaginary city, not sure why a piece by Dutch artist Marlene Dumas was in it but it was, seems to be a trait in Italian curating to mix things up, I suppose the sitter is African in appearance, painted in South Africa, the artist is not African, anyhow this piece impressed and the artist herself has influenced my animations and painting as part of 'Existing Removed'


Marlene Dumas, Black Jesus Man, 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Works 2020

From the Poison of Empire series, collage, acrylic and encaustic wax on board. A3 From the Poison of Empire series, collage, acrylic and enc...